Monday, November 13, 2017

Creating a unit of 'The Fallen' for Kings of War

This is a small project I had in mind a while back but have taken forever to get around to actually starting. It's been a while since I painted anything but I have been doing a fair bit of building miniatures and prep work recently.

Who are The Fallen? A unit option for a 'Kings of War' 'Varangur' army. Varangur are Evil demon/god worshipers. Kind of like Chaos in the world of Warhammer.
The options for this unit is as a Regiment or a Horde size. A Regiment is 3 miniatures and a Horde is 6. The rules allow to model less figures than 6 and even though I had 6 miniatures in mind I could keep one aside for a Hero option (Cursed Son). No product line exists that I am aware which is kinda cool as the imagination can cut loose on what to use.
Reading the paragraph of background fluff I get this......Blah Blah Blah deadly warriors...blah blah blah..loose formations....blah blah... hefty glaives.....
In the Stats they are Height 1 (Human height), and have a Speed of 8inches which makes them 3 inches faster than regular humans. Looking at the options my Varangur force is going to need some faster moving units.
I thought that these Warmachine Doom Reavers I painted a while back are a great fit for 'The Fallen'.
They have the movement, Giant Glaives, and a kind of crazy evil feel about them.The Stats have Defence at 5+ which is rock hard but I guess getting past a giant spinning sword is hard and also in a fantasy world magic can be used to explain anything. Even though Warmachine is 32mm scale (I think) the larger scale actually helps this unit of magic infused crazy lunatics.
Alternatively if the force was modeled from Historical Vikings a unit of Berserkers would look the part as well. Maybe I will do that in the future (another purchase).

 Above. I did briefly consider basing them on 40mm bases but decided nope opting for the single large base instead. 





Base cut down Mantic plastic unit tray. These bases come with a lip that actually makes them a little bigger than the Rule book base size so sliced them off. I had to trim and file down the lip in the middle zone. This tray was made for standard 20mm units at 5 across which is shorter than 3 x 40mm. Mantic make these at Large Infantry size now. Perhaps I should get some.


























Removing the Miniatures from bases involved a strong pair of scissors to snip them one side of the slot. They came apart easy after that with no parts broken. As you can see one side of the Mantic trays has a nice texture.



























Removing the slot plug from the feet did result in a sword snap off and also a leg at the knee but was easily super glued back together. I used blister pack packing foam to help avoid paint lose but it didn't save the breaks from my clumsiness. Most gamers would recommend pinning the feet to the base but the feet are actually fairly wide. I have placed them above to visualize final placement but the middle dude is glued to a rock.


Now they are all glued to the base. I have nudged some small rocks next to some feet to try and help them stay attached to the base.




















Here they are after the sand has dried with the lone 'Cursed Son' on his 25mm x 25mm base. I may add even more rocks before painting the base. It is most likely that I will paint over the Red Armour as well with black. Red is the faction colour for Warmachine. I will also change the hair colour of the unmasked individual as well to black. The blond just does not contrast well against the skin tones.

Cheers for now
From Brendon

2 comments: