Friday, September 18, 2015

Secret Santas....hordes of them!

This was a lot of fun for me last year. Not doing piss writing in snow but doing some detective work on a boy or girl who has been good. It was a very cool surprise as well to get something very nice.
By joining up you will get at least one cool present by someone who gets what you are into for Christmas 2015.

Go look here for details. SECRET SANTA MISSION SIGN UP

Don't eat the Yellow snow.
Cheers from Brendon

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Metal War Elephants

As well as planning a Mongol army for Kings of War I plan to create a Human Arab army to oppose them. Inspired by three ideas.

1. The KoW version 2 now includes a 'Beast of War' option for Human forces. Interpretation of that is up to players but it's a perfect slot for War Elephants to fit in.

2. I purchased the Gripping Beast plastic Arab box sets for possibly a Lion Rampant force but it can be expanded for KoW.

3. The Conqueror historical novel series at a certain point sees a Mongol army faced with Elephants among an Arab army. It was one of many incredible parts of those books.

It was a hefty purchase from Aventine Miniatures.
They have a few options to choose from and Crew are a separate purchase option. I will use Plastic Foot Arabs from Gripping beast to man the Howdahs and convert some Pilots for sitting behind the heads.
Are these the right looking style historically? No idea and I don't care really.

I was originally thinking to make one for my slow grow Early Imperial Roman army and leave the Arab force with 3. In the adventures of Macro and Cato one turned up in the invasion of Britannia. But I might just let the Arabs have four for maximum impact.

Lots of building taking place recently on the table but no painting continues.
Cheers from Brendon

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Planning a Mongol Horde for Kings of War

I have been considering the options to create a Mongol inspired force in Kings of War (KoW). I settled on using the 'Elf Armies' options for the build. I aim to make my KoW forces 2,000points.
Why Elves? Mongols of course are famed for Archery and Horseback Archery in particular. The Elf options have good 'Ranged Attack' and swift horses.
Need to paint some more!
I painted a box of 12 Fireforge Mongol mounted dudes and also some on foot earlier this year (2015). Excellent miniatures that deserve to be in a game. I have started assembling more of them but to get a direction I really felt the need to make a list. So after a few tries and head scratching I came up with this... 
These mystic scribblings must have a meaning!
1940 Points so leaves a few points to fill with Magic Artefacts. It's given me a clear direction with my next intended purchase for this force which is Heavy Mongol Cavalry.

As a note....KoW for army balance has an unlock system. As an example to get a Troop of Horse Archers (5 Models) you get 2 for each Regiment or 4 for each Horde. I am not bound by the number of models the book states for each unit but by the total base size for each unit. Totally acceptable if explained to an opponent in my opinion.

But here goes the translation...
..with loud colours now!?
GREEN = 4 x Troops of Silverbreeze Cavalry (they have bows and the Nimble skill)

RED = 2 x Regiments of Kindred Gladestalkers (Infantry with Bows, Pathfinder and Vanguard skills

BLUE = 2 x Stormwind Cavalry Regiments (Heavy bows)

YELLOW = Heroes. 1 x Shaman (Elven Mage), 2 x Army Standard mounted (1 can be the Mongol drummer on a Camel). 1 x Drakon Rider Lord (Giant Eagle)

PINK = War Chariots Horde. (Cavalry Horde).

It's been a really interesting exercise in coming up with the translation but it works for me and here is some thoughts on the why.

Why a Giant Eagle. In The Conqueror novel Eagles are a part that I recall. Genghis climbed up to a nest and bagged one...Eagles = huge status symbol. It's also a fantasy game as well so why not have an element of the fantastic. Also it flies and is going to look awesome!

War Chariots? Of course I don't recall any reference to Mongols having Chariots but the Elf options do not include a Medium style Cav. It's a max of a Heavy Cav Regiment or small units of Bow Cav (Scouts probably). I also already have a bunch of mounted plastic Mongols purchased and don't think they cut it as Heavy Cav. The thing with the War Chariots is also the HUGE footprint the unit has. Each chariot is 50x100 and a Horde is 6 of those with 3 across. So that's a total of 150 x 200. Perfect for a truckload of Mongols on horses. War Chariots are also armed with Bows...yaaay! Means it can be a great mix of arms in the unit as well.

Wizard? = Shaman. That's an easy one. Fantasy games need spells.

Infantry? Yes, infantry! I recall a battle with the Mongols dismounting a large force to climb a mountain range to appear behind an army. Basically trapping it. Cutting off any exit with a frontal attack up the valley from the rest of the mounted Mongol army resulting in total victory.

Other infantry could include a Militia option from the Human options. I recall the Mongols using large numbers of conscripts in Europe to use up the enemy's arrows. The only downside was feeding them.
Doing that of course could open up the option to include a Canon from the Human list. Kublai Khan (Genghis's descendant) used them in the novels.

End bit...
Looks like it's going to be a swift moving, bow shooting army. Excellent!

Cheers from Brendon