Friday, November 7, 2014

Let the paint fly!

That time of the year for this wargamer to participate in a bit of online fun that combines two things. Firstly Painting and secondly...blogging. The announcement has been made for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge and it's theme. Now in its 5th year! If you followed this blog you would know that I had a red hot go last time around with a goal initially of 600 points.  I managed to get past that so as advised I am going to push the goal post a bit further out to 1,000 points. If I get there great..if I don't...it don't really matter. It's not a competition but a challenge to myself to get paint on figures.
I will have to put my thinking cap on as to what I will send for an Entry Fee figure. The theme is Anti-Hero. The charming evil doer that you can't help but like or even admire a little perhaps.

Even though the Facebook group calls this the WINTER CHALLENGE...It's not winter here. It's more of a Wet Season challenge for me. So hopefully it rains lots and I have no choice but to sit inside and paint. It ties in nicely now that project Backyard Upgrade is near completion as well so I can get back on the brushes. For now it will be back to sticking together Perry Plastics.

Other stuff...
I went and saw FURY at the movies. Sherman Tanks near the end of WWII and focusing on one crew mostly. I liked it. Makes you want to go and play Flames of War tank games and find books from WWII veteran tankers. It does tend to head into a big Hollywood heroic sequence but don't be put off by that. It's got some incredible effects in it. Seeing German AT PaK40 guns in action was both fascinating and scary to say the least. Lots of gear in it that wargamers will be able to name.


Kings of War...that mass fantasy 28mm wargame has announced that they will tighten the rules and re-publish the rulebook next year (2015). Yes...they will do this through Kickstarter. You may think of Kickstarter as just really a pre-order system for larger companies but, Mantic also use it as a deadline motivation to get projects over the line. I will be backing this as I have found the game to be most excellent fun. If you played Warhammer Fantasy and want to try an alternative set of rules then give it a go. I am certain they will review the point cost of some units in the interest of game balance among the improvements.




One more thing...
The Judge Dredd miniatures game has an expansion book coming out soon. Blood on the Streets will have new forces and lots of Scenarios to play with many specific for particular factions. Sounds good to me.


Cheers from Brendon (The Kiwi)

16 comments:

  1. I've signed on again for another round of insanity this year. Looking forward to seeing your work and best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Looking forward as always to what you create.
      cheers

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing you get stuck in Kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the challenge again too and like you loved Fury. The Hollywood ending was fine by me having just spent most of the movie on the edge of my seat with the teeth rattling every time another shell ricocheted off the turret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. Yeah those Sherman receiving fire scenes ..AMAZING! Very scary!
      Best of luck in the challenge.
      cheers

      Delete
  4. Good luck sir, I am also aiming high with 1000 points, lets see if we can pace each other ;-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you Ian. Should be a blast.
      cheers

      Delete
  5. Best wishes for the Challenge! Looking forward to all the great entries once again. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck for the Challenge. What have you got lined up for it, figures for Lion Rampant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm obliged to remain on the sidelines this year, but I'll be watching with great interest. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Sit back and enjoy the madness.
      Cheers

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the painting challenge! 1K is alot of points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. But I smashed last years goal (600) so hopefully by aiming high it can motivate me. Turns out my unpainted horde has grown. Gulp!
      cheers

      Delete