Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Apps and tabletop wargames

Recently I have been seeing how much fun some of my regular opponents have been having starting out in War Machine. I found a bargain on ebay so I am likely to try it out at some stage in the future. However a friend asked me how is my force build going and by that he wasn't really meaning actual physical building but calculating an army roster. He suggested I check out an App that Privateer Press the creators of the game have made available. I followed his advice and turns out it is very good especially for a Noob like me..
War Machine has specific game cards with model specific Rules and Statistics. All of them are available for purchase through the app. The App also has an Army Build function and by the looks a game aid damage tracking ability as well. A diogital alternative to using a marker to check boxes on a clear card protector as your models take hits. I am yet to try that out but that is a simple but excellent evolution of incorporating Smart Phones or the TAB of your choice into table top war gaming.
There really is a lot of potential in utilizing this technology in our gaming. I recently came across this for Mantics Dread Ball game as well. Looks like it might be helpful if you play Dread Ball.
It will be interesting to see if the step from just storing, reading and accessing a rule book to an actual during game usefulness will add to our experiences and not detract from the miniatures hobby in any way. Done the right way it should only make it better. It will be interesting to see how the games we like to play grasp this. If you know of any in development for our games or of existing ones let me know.

Cheers from Brendon (The Kiwi in Oz)      

No comments:

Post a Comment