Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Plastic Gripping Beast Dark Age Warriors


Following on from the previous 12 with slings here are 12 with weapons and shields. Perfect for a Levy Warrior Anglo-Saxon unit in Saga. Most of the shields are basic hand painted designs with weathering and a couple are Little Big Men transfers.
I am really enjoying painting Dark Age miniatures. I really like the historical setting. I seem to have found a good groove with the colours and my method as well.
I have started to look towards using these figures beyond Saga as well. I have enjoyed playing 'Kings of War' and while it is not historical (swords and Dragons fantasy) a fantastic set of Army lists are available on a great blog at An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields. I worked out a few Army rosters with historical match ups in mind and based on what I have in my collection and what I could reasonably add on to not make it an intimidating mega project. 1000 - 1500 point lists to begin with. One aspect to the Kings of War rules is a fixed base size for figures/units so using this I have decided on a custom base solution from Warbases. I will have a lot less figures for each unit than is generally expected due to the 25mm round bases. I will use a slot system on large bases that conform to the Kings of War system. Example a Human horde unit is 200 x 80mm with up to 40 figures. I am going to fall well short of that figure wise on a base that size but I am not bothered by this. It allows me to stretch my collection out and still be able to play them in another game. I will keep you posted on progress for this project.

Cheers from Brendon (The Kiwi)  

4 comments:

  1. Fierce looking warriors, great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those warriors look great! Just starting SAGA myself, and already thinking of expanding to make a Hail Caesar force...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking figs. Thanks for the tip on KoW for historicals too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely figures - I like how 'gritty' they look. Good shading and color choices.

    ReplyDelete