Monday, January 23, 2017

Dragon from the East

The theme challenge bonus round was simply titled 'East' and was well suited to what I had in my 'to do' list. A happy coincidence perhaps.


For use with my Mongol collection when used in Kings of War Fantasy I had this idea to fill a Dragon option with an oriental style dragon. I was really happy to came across this plastic miniature by Wyrd Miniatures for a game called Malifaux. It was exactly what I was looking for.



I was unsure at first at what colours to apply. I did think about brown shades similar to a Snake creature I painted some time ago. I went with a colours that once they started to go down actually reminded me of an Orc Wyvern by GW from years gone by. That was entirely accidental.








The green is bright but not so bright as to be eye popping like a shiny green apple. The belly colour is an ochre style yellow rather than a bright yellow. The pops of red are the complimentary opposites of Green so a few small areas seemed right. The whiskers are a very fine piece of plastic to have on a wargame figure but only time will tell how many times they may be glued back on when they snap if mishandled. They almost snapped during assembly.




The base was home made, hand cut 75x75mm. In Kings of War some dragons are listed as requiring a base size that big. I slowly layered sand and rocks to build up the mini hill the dragon sits atop. The height may help keep the long tale from getting in the way of other tabletop miniatures etc.






































The six Mongols are by FireForge, One mongol is on a 50x50mm base while the rest are on traditional 25x50mm bases. I decided to base some horses this way to provide figure economy in units. It will help stretch the collection out but also as the Historical list has a Skirmish unit option less in a unit will visually suit this description. Some of the Mongols have armoured torsos from Gripping Beast Armoured Arab Cavalry.

After weeks and weeks of painting just horses and plate armour it was great to paint this submission as part of the painting challenge and with the deadline that entails it is very motivating to get miniatures through to completion in a timely manner. Follow this link to see all the other responses to the 'East' theme.

Cheers from Brendon.

9 comments:

  1. That Dragon is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments folks. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look flawless... and that dragon must look majestic on the gaming table!
    Fantastic work mate!!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pure Awesome brush work!
    I love your bases also.Love that "natural" and realistic style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete