Thursday, October 20, 2016

The cost of War (gaming) a Norman army

This is just a thinking out loud post on what it would cost me (as at writing this) to build a Norman army for Kings of War Historical.
Conquest Games Normans from my collection.


I actually have a Norman collection started when I got into Saga and it has been slowly expanding. The aim is to have enough for a Kings of War Historical army. I constructed the following list aiming for a max of 2,000 points. I didn't reach that total but Veteran Ability upgrades makes filling up remaining points very easy.






































I have included in colour the amount of Miniatures I would require. In KoW the total unit footprint does not require wall to wall miniatures or removal of individual figures as a way of wound tracking. However tournament requirements and increasing community expectation is that the minimum amount required is 50% plus 1. With that in mind and my preference for Plastic I went and had a look at the Conquest Games website. They make excellent Normans in my opinion.

Looking at the quantities in each box and what is required for this army the following is required....
- Mounted Knights x 3 (15 in each box)
- Norman Infantry x 1 (44)
- Medieval Archers x 1 (28)

A long time ago I had these unit trays made but they only have 14 figures on a Horde. Don't hate me. :)


Conquest Games do a Five box special for 90 British pounds and that's a pick and mix special. Plus postage to my location 25 pounds.
Total cost 115 B-Pounds which is as at today around 184 Australian Dollars. Add a conversion fee of a few more dollars and that makes the army just under $200 Aussie dollars.

Those of you good at the Math would have figured out that 3 Knight kits actually yields 45 mounted Normans. That's great as the Regiments could perhaps be boosted in number perhaps making one of them 10 figures strong which would actually help make them stand out as a Veteran lords guard type unit with an extra ability. Perhaps another General/Hero/Army Banner or Musician.

Additional costs may include suitable unit bases. Perhaps those Mantic plastic ones would do the trick. Then of course glue, beer, flock, paint, coffee, a paint brush or two, beer, a can of primer and some beer to celebrate a year (hopefully less) from now when it's completed.

Cheers for now from Brendon

9 comments:

  1. A great plan and interesting analysis. I say go for it 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep you have to do it. $200.00 bucks for a large 28mm historical army, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be spending more for a 15mm army so yes go for it :-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback folks. Might have to consider doing this for another force. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does that compare to getting them thru a local supplier like War & Peace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. War and Peace looks like it would work out at around $250 plus shipping.

      Delete
  6. I note beer appears three times in your additional costs. Good to see you are taking this seriously mate :-)

    ReplyDelete