Monday, April 29, 2013

2013 ANZAC DAY in Brisbane

Me and the family went to Brisbane in the last week of April. The temperature was definitely lower than Darwin and as always I receive some looks when I wear a Beanie when my head needs a little extra warmth in the mornings and evenings.
For the first time in a few years I did not attend a Dawn service but we did get into the City for the 10o'clock parade. It was busy and to start the event two Hornets did a low fly over above the street. We witnessed most of the parade from ANZAC square. When I say most it was the biggest and longest ANZAC parade I have seen in person. By my reckoning it was around two hours long. The square itself is a well kept area with flower beds, lawns, and statues from the Boer war to more recent conflicts. Stairs lead to the 'Eternal Flame of Remembrance, and also the 'Shrine of Rememberance' is under the flame. We just happened to catch a brief reef laying service in the Shrine and with the Last Post and minute of silence it made me very reflective as the entire day always does.

LEST WE FORGET

The Parade had lots of smiling old veterans and also ancestors of Veterans to fill the spots they have left behind in passing. So many different organisations and Units were represented from Viet Nam Tunnel Rats to the Rats of Tobruk or the Polish Army and the South Viet Nam Army (ARVN).

Above is the start of the Parade led by World War 1 style uniforms as seen from our point of view.
Later me and my lady had a rare night out child free and went to see Black Sabbath. Just a coincidence that it was ANZAC day. Shihad played as warm up and I remember seeing these guys in New Zealand in the late 1980s and many times since. I always find them entertaining live and they respectfully acknowledged Service men and women past and present. Black Sabbath are perhaps the originators of all things heavy and metal so it is about as spiritual experience as a headbanger can get. Loud, Heavy, Dark.....lots of fun.

Cheers from Brendon (The Kiwi)

1 comment:

  1. Good day all round then! The parade looks really cool and moving!

    ReplyDelete